* Did you know that muscle can burn more than 50 calories more…per pound of your lean body weight, per day than fat? What that translates to is, the higher percentage of lean muscle that you build on your body, the higher your metabolism will be. I hear women constantly saying…”I have a slow metabolism”…..Right… you have more fat on your body than muscle, so get moving, and start weight training!!
* Building muscles through strength training promotes balance, and core stability. Core strength is key in injury prevention, now, and later on in life. Statistics have shown that one in four people over the age of 65 years old will have a slip and fall accident that radically changes their life. Prepare your body now, with strength, balance, and flexibility so that it won’t happen to you! Studies have also shown that women that lack grip strength, and quadricep strength (the muscle responsible for standing from a sitting position), are twice as likely to die from heart disease than their stronger peers. So ladies, keep your heart pumping by pumping iron!!
* Building muscle builds strong bones, preventing the onset of osteopenia, and osteoporosis.
* Using free weights vs. machines in the weight room is key, especially in the beginning stages. While perfecting your form, you are forced to use the smaller muscles for stability, while forcing your larger muscles to do the heavy, more tasking work. Soon you will have an awareness of how each muscle feels when you contract it during an exercise. In as little as 3 weeks you can start feeling a “tightness” in your muscles….while achieving tone. Soon you will be building larger muscles as you get stronger, thus, speeding up your metabolism.
* Lifting weights for women is extremely empowering. Imagine having the sense that you are in control of your body, your energy levels, and your fitness level. With dedication, and a bit of sweat, you start to see a difference in your body, and start feeling stronger, and sexier, in and out of the weight room!
* Incorporating exercises that multitask is the way to cut down time in the gym, and speed up results. Work your legs, glutes, and back muscles to get stronger, bigger, “calorie consuming” results. Forget bicep curls, go for walking lunges, squats, and pull ups!! Don’t worry about getting to “bulky” or too big, you don’t have the right hormones!!
Girls!!! Don’t fear the weight room!!
* Start with a plan. Hire a personal trainer to familiarize yourself with weights, and monitor your progress. Form is of the utmost importance to prevent injury, and correct imbalances. Set realistic short, and long term goals. Eat for strength, and stick with a plan. Results are only weeks away!! Start NOW! Spring is right around the corner!!
As always, consult your doctor before starting any new exercise program.